Sports Law - South Australia
Sports Lawyer Adelaide
When sportsmen and women find themselves in need of legal advice it is vital that it comes from a supportive sport specialist.
One with an instinctive understanding of the special circumstances that players, clubs and their representatives can face.
Liptak Lawyers are Adelaide and South Australia’s Sports Law Specialists
- Liptak Lawyers are experienced Sports Lawyers with a professional sporting background.
- Patrick is a former Bay Sheffield, Botany Bay and Bendigo Gift finalist and SAAL Sprinter of the year for athletics. He is a State champion junior fencer as well as achieving success in Masters competition in both River Rowing and Surf Boat Rowing.
- Liptak Lawyers have attended as counsel at soccer tribunals , Ice hockey tribunals , football and soccer players charged for assault in the criminal courts, athletic coaches disciplined by athletics SA. We have provided contractual advice to elite sprinters and footballers.
- Experience with ASADA in dealing with Anti-Doping drug issues, suspensions, expedited hearings and appeals.
- Liptak Lawyers have been the Glenelg Football Club advocate for the past 17 years
- Attended at the International Court of Arbitration.
- Notable clients include Kim Mottrom (Athletics), Brad Mousley (Tennis) and Brendan Ellis (Surfboat rowing).
- Patrick Liptak is a former Club Secretary at the Western Districts Athletic Club.
- Patrick Liptak has assisted an SAWFL football club with player transfers
- Liptak Lawyers is committed to contributing to its wider community through donating the proceeds for the Liptak Prize in Sports Law at the University of Adelaide.
Our sporting clients are increasingly recognising the benefits of working with people who have sport in their blood.
Using performance enhancing drugs or any other illicit substances are prohibited when used in sport or in a context associated with sport.
The ASADA (Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority) is the body within Australia that regulates anti-doping This is in partnership with the WADA (World Anti-Doping Agency). The WADA is responsible for managing and monitoring sports doping around the world. This is done by enforcing a set of anti-doping rules. These rules cover all sports in all countries, and is known as the World Anti-Doping Code.
At Liptak Lawyers we specialise in anti-doping matters. We offer expert advice and representation to athletes, coaches and sporting bodies who are or potentially may be subject to anti-doping violations.
As in every walk of life, sport can create situations where prompt, supportive and specialist legal advice is required. We offer a range of services that recognise the unique nature of the issues that can face competitive sportsmen and sportswomen. Liptak Lawyers are the most experienced sports lawyer in Adelaide.
Some of our more recent successes
- Assisted in claiming damages for a SACA contracted Scorpions women’s cricket player
- Provided advice at the South Australian Rugby Union football tribunal.
- Assisted in claiming damages for a Adelaide Unite contracted women’s soccer player.
- Assisted in claiming damages for an ‘A’ division football player(s).
- Liptak Lawyers have advised on a complaint made by Equestrian SA to a top level dressage rider.
- Our firm recently assisted in preparing an Appeal for a track cyclist to Cycling Australia, to dispute non selection into Australian Team for the World championships.
- We have recently represented a 3x national champion side car driver at an appeal against suspension before motorcycling SA
- Liptak Lawyers have assisted an ITF tennis player in dealing with ASADA and Tennis Australia and preparation for an appeal to the TAADT.
- Dealt with and negotiated with Athletics Australia.
- Acted for the South Australian Dirt Kart Association in successfully defending in the south Australian Supreme court in an appeal against the suspension.
- Acted for the Glenelg football club in an appeal against a suspension made against one of their players by the SANFL Tribunal.
Dedicated Point of Contact
All our sports clients benefit from one dedicated point of contact who will always be familiar with the details of your case and the progress that is being made.
We offer an initial consultation to all sportsmen and women who feel that they may have a developing legal issue. We are particularly happy to meet with parents of rising stars who may need initial guidance at the beginning of their sporting careers.
Expert advice and careful negotiation of contracts can help to avoid disputes. Where problems do arise we will be on hand to protect your interests:
- Employment Disputes
- Sponsorship Deals
- Image Rights
- Agents Services
Representation at Disciplinary Hearings
Careful preparation, attention to detail and confident presentation can make a significant difference at disciplinary hearings. Also, an understanding of the internal workings of the disciplinary rules is essential to success. We offer advice and support from offence to resolution.
On Field Personal Injury
Serious injury can result in severe consequences for players. These rare occasions require a specialist personal injury lawyers Adelaide working in your interests.
- Loss of earnings
- Loss of Career
- General Legal Services
Liptak Lawyers Champion Lawyers Representing Champion Sports People!
- Patrick Liptak has a lifetime of involvement in sport:
- Current member of the Adelaide Rowing Club
- Current member of the Holdfast Bay Canoe Club
- Played rugby union for the Old Collegians Club
- Competed in the rugby 7’s State Tournament
- State champion junior fencer
- Competed in the International Darwin rugby 7’s
- Current Surf Boat competitor
- Style Coach for elite athletic sprinters
- State Team Representative for Fencing
- Current member of the West Beach Surf Club
- Attended extensive training camp at the Australian Institute of Sort for Fencing
- Currently training in K1 and surf skis.
- Former Bay Sheffield, Botany Bay and Bendigo Gift finalist and SAAL Sprinter of the year for athletics
- State team representative for surf boat rowing
- State champion surf boat rower and state champion in masters river rowing
- Competed in the head of the Yarra on four occasions in the eight for the Adelaide rowing club
- Only South Australian sprinter to break 12seconds in the Stawell gift 120m.
- State team representative for fencing
- Patrick ran 11.94 of a handicap of 6.5m running an equivalent 100m electric time of 10.48 seconds.
- At the Botany Bay carnival in 1996 Patrick ran 11.68 of 6.5 metres the equivalent 100m would be in the range of 10.3 seconds.
- Granted an Athletics scholarship by the University of Pennsylvania.
- Arguably ranked in the top 4 100 metre sprinters in south Australia between 1991 and 1996.
- A silver medalist in the surf boats in the 2019 state masters championships.
- 2019 ALSA (Australian Surfing Lawyers Association) Sumba conference, big wave award winner.
- A bronze medalist in the surf boats in the 2020 State Masters Championships.
Want a Good Result? Get a Good Lawyer!
Liptak Lawyers – Sports Lawyer Adelaide
Complete the form below to request your free initial consultation*
Send us your enquiry
*No cost initial consultations may be in person at one of our offices or by telephone, at our discretion. Please be sure to have all information and applicable documents available for your free consultation.